Sunday, August 24, 2008

This month's pep talk

Ok. I've decided to be happy. I'm putting all of the crushing weight of heavy thoughts down, nothing needs to be tragic or dreary or even crucial. My perfectionism can bite it - I'm going to have fun. I've been saying this to myself the past 4 months and now maybe I'm starting to believe it: What's the point of doing this if I don't have fun? I'm done griping about my schedule and work, I'm just going to enjoy what I'm doing. If I'm doing something that must be done, that's fine, it doesn't mean that, therefore, I can't enjoy it. Put a silly grin on your face, Luther, and you'll start having fun.

And talk to people. Even if you can only get as deep as 1 sentence or 1 question. Just do it. Don't shy from anything. There's no point. I already know that when I'm back in America I'm never holding back if I have something to say, something to ask. I'll do it just because I can. That girl behind the counter at the coffee shop, the gas attendant, my pastor, police officer, mayor, guy behind me in line at the ATM - if I got something funny to say, a question to ask, it's coming out. Now in Japan, I'm in a different culture and a different language but heck to that! I'm still going to try my Japanese even if it makes no sense whatsoever. There is no good reason any more to stay quiet.

Make friends. Invite. Don't rot in your apartment. Coffee. A drink. Atami beach. Book shopping in Shizuoka. Check the Shizuoka guide. Concert. Museum. Temple.

Don't be a turd.

.

No comments: