Thursday, October 16, 2008

A gone day

People say to me, "Good Morning" on my way to work and "Good Evening" when I'm on my way home.

I think the reason why Japanese people bow to each other instead of shaking hands is because they don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. And I mean ladies and gentlemen, #1 and #2. It's really disgusting. It baffles me and grosses me out every time I'm in the bathroom washing my hands and someone comes out of a stall and just walks right back into the teachers room. And I know that's guys and girls because the little girls' room is inside the men's bathroom. Most public places don't have soap and I know 99.9% of the population doesn't carry a pump-style bottle of dial in their pocket. We at least have soap at school - the nurse started an initiative several months back to put soap by the sinks - but I don't think the bottle has even needed to be refilled yet due to infrequent use. And I've even seen the nurse walk out of the bathroom without washing her hands.

I seriously considered playing hooky today. It was sooo nice out. And the sun was already below the horizon on my bike ride home. It's testing week so I had no classes today. I get to sit at my desk and let my mind wander... Like that book about an ALT, Tonoharu. I still hear it in my mother's voice as she read the first few pages to me over skype. She sent it to me later. It's pretty gosh-darn, dead on accurate. CLAIR should buy a copy for every JET participant and send it to them before they arrive.

.

No comments: