Saturday, February 21, 2009

Update

I'm sorry I've been bad about writing here over the past month+. The truth is, I've been going through a lot of changes, and doing a lot more writing in my journal. (And I've picked up reading again.)

Things are going really great. And I tend to not write as much when things are great.

The novel experiences have begun to wear off. That's not to say crazy stuff doesn't keep happening to me, I can assure you, I've many a time waited for clocks to start floating around me, having just fallen down the rabbit hole. But I'm seeing these events as inherent to my time here -- no -- my life here. (Just today I was reminded by a friend that this too is real life!)

Most of my changes are God-centered. I've discovered repentance. I've discovered the joy of getting to go back and do it right this time, of receiving the freedom from Christ to pursue what's "true...noble...right...pure...lovely...admirable...excellent...and praiseworthy." I'm truly very happy here with my little plot of life I'm living in Japan because I have a living God who loves me, who has kept no good thing from me, and because I have a lot of hope for the future - encouraged by the promise of my good and fruitful efforts now leading to affirmation on the day of judgment. "I've been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me...", the father having taken Christ's life for mine, and the power of grace having spurred me on will say, "Well done good and faithful servant." This is certainly the steady assurance I have in everything.

And, there are a lot of things to be worked on. My character must change. My obedience must align with Jesus'. I must hide the Word deep in my heart. I must take note of my Bible, pick it up, and investigate. I must consistently maintain my prayer life. All of these things with the hope that they pour over into the practical, into the visible realm where others "will take notice and praise my father in heaven." This is by far the most difficult part because I'm selfish and self-serving. I heard something from Mark Driscoll (Mars Hill Church) today that made me write the following:

Why would I ever exchange perfection for failure, wholeness for the broken, the Object of joy for objects of frustration? Why would I EVER exchange Jesus for myself - honoring my slovenly ways as more urgent than His rich promises? Yet I do this every day. I'm trying to do it less.

That's where I'm at.

.

No comments: