Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lime Juice

I bought a Corona at the Konbini today. It came with its own little ketchup like packet of lime juice. I popped the top as a reward for picking up my apartment this evening and took a swig. Suddenly, I was whisked back to Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I'm not sure why the taste of Corona brings me back there so suddenly, but maybe it's because that's what Eau Claire tastes like if you were to take a big slurp with your tongue. Or maybe it's simply a little too telling of the kinds of activities I partook in whilst I was gracing that city with my presence.

I do dearly, dearly miss that place. I miss popping out of the wigwam on a sunny, fall afternoon with crisp air in my lungs and the tragic beauty of dying leaves spread across my pictoview. I miss walking 3 blocks to my choice of 13 bars, packed onto one avenue, doors open and windows polished waiting for the crowd to trickle in. I miss throwing a football on Chippewa Street. I miss getting caught up in the college life and being surrounded by thousands of my peers. I felt something then. I felt like somebody then and somehow in that small world I felt like there were endless possibilities, if I was only willing to swallow my pride, forgo my inhibitions and take a step in any direction.

And now I've stepped out into the world. I've stretched my legs across ocean and continent to a place where I have no previous feeling. What am I building here? What am I finding? When I reflect on this time in the future, what will I feel? And what popped beverage will bring me back?

No comments: