Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

The much anticipated and slightly celebrated Holiday is in full swing!

School has officially ended for the day here at Ihara High School, but I'm still handing out pieces of candy. For the past week I've been telling my classes to come find me during Halloween Day and say "Trick-or-Treat" and I'll give them a piece of candy. Sarah and I both picked up a few hundred yen worth of individually wrapped pieces of chocolate the other day, and Sarah bought a cute little collapsable pumpkin to keep it all in. The pumpkin is empty now - I had to dig into my "Halloween Pockey" this afternoon. All in all I think I gave out around 200 pieces or just over. I've been wearing these weird glasses with a fake, green warewolf muzzle and jester hat all week as my costume. Sarah's been wearing devil horns and a black cape. For our lesson plans we've been playing "Pass the Pumpkin" (telling a story and passing right or left whenever they hear that particular word) and "Mystery Bag Stories," the game where you have to feel different objects in covered bags that feel like body parts. We had halved Shittake mushrooms as ears (sugoi! they felt exactly like ears!), cheetos for fingers and konyaku for guts (a kind of jellied yam- actually, I think it's devil's tongue or something like that). So we and the kids had a ton of fun. Still another day of Halloween celebration to go tomorrow, minus all the candy of course! Tomorrow's supposed to be the day where kids feel sick.

No comments: