Sunday, April 20, 2008

Food

I'm in the cooking club at school. We meet on Thursdays. We didn't cook this past week - we were supposed to research train station obentos instead. I took my computer up to the Language Lab and me and 5 other girls wikied it on the Japanese website. One of the pictures that came up was of "ikameshi" or a mini squid sawed in half with rice and spices stuffed up its hollowed body. I revolted when I first saw it and couldn't imagine anyone thinking this to be a good idea. The girls thought it was funny that I thought it was gross. Here's the picture:



So the next day (Friday) I was biking home from school when I suddenly slammed on the brakes. Here I was thinking how gross it was to stuff rice up a squid, when what did my family ceremoniously and with great joy and rigor do every Thanksgiving? We slit a turkey's neck, rip out its insides and stuff it full of bread and spices! And somehow that never occurred to me as weird...





Mmmm, delicious.....


.

1 comment:

Herman Yung said...

Hi, please upload the image of the turkey to your own server or to Blogger. Thanks!