Thursday, April 24, 2008

Saved by Leinenkugel's

I promised yesterday some anecdotes, so here's one for starters:

I mentioned before how difficult my gentsuki license test was. There were many questions that I had never come across and the wording was iffy on a few. Three of the questions referred to actions to be taken at an "amber traffic light." I know what amber means, and it's not exactly green, yellow or red, so I started thinking that it might be one of those caution lights that blinks above special signs on the side of the road. I was thinking that the color amber was most closely related to what we call a "yellow light" in English, but I couldn't be sure because of the label Japanese people give to "green lights." If you ask a Japanese person what the name of the light is that tells you to go, they'll say "ao" which is the Japanese word for "blue" even though the color of the light is actually green. I only had 30 min. to answer 52 questions with a similar caliber of ambiguity - I was running out of time for these 3 answers. I read the question again. "Amber traffic light, amber traffic light.....Amber Light!" I suddenly remembered the Leinie's beer of this same name. It was yellow in color. And "amber" now most certainly couldn't mean "red light" because Leinie's had a separate beer called Leinie's Red. I concluded that "amber traffic light" must mean "yellow light." I answered the questions and moved on in my quest toward gentsuki glory.

QED


.

No comments: