Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Questions I answered for a student journalist

Why did you choose to teach english abroad? And why did you choose the
country you chose?

I chose to teach English abroad for a couple of reasons. First, I have always wanted to live in a different country for an extended period of time in order to experience a different culture, and second, I enjoyed volunteering with teaching English for a bit in college. I knew it would be a challenge, and was excited for the experience. Japan attracted me because it is modern, but non-Western. I had wanted to study abroad here while in college, but the timing didn't work out. So when I learned of the JET Program a few semesters before I graduated I decided to apply. (I had to submit my application about 8 months before the expected departure date).

How did you prepare for leaving the US? How long are you staying? Are
you under contract?

There was a lot of preparation. I am under a one year contract with the JET Program (Japan Exchange and Teaching) which is a Japanese governmental program. I'm paid by taxpayers. I can renew my contract up to 4 times for a total of 5 years. Since this is a very reputable program with thousands of participants each year and many more applicants, the preparations are rigorous and extensive. There was everything from getting my fingerprints taken to applying for a visa to filling out tax forms - and of course packing. It took me about a week to figure out what to bring and about 4 hours to limit it down so it could fit into my luggage. I also bought a laptop and a camera.

As for mental preparation, I hosted a party at my house for friends and family (it was also a kind of a graduation gathering for my sister and me) and got together with good friends for what I knew would be the last time together for a while. I also ate some of my favorite foods (it's really hard to find cheese with flavor here in Japan).

I recently resigned for another year, so I'll be here for a total of 2 years at least, maybe longer.


I always hear teaching english abroad is rewarding...has it been for
you? Why or why not?

There's definitely been a learning curve for this job of teaching. My major wasn't education, so I don't really have the theory or background to be doing this...just a fluency in English! One thing they tell you in the JET Program is E.S.I.D. - Every Situation Is Different, and it's true. At my school they are expecting me to write curriculum and order textbooks...not something I really know how to do, but I've been doing some research and am doing the best I can with it. I suppose I'll have everything figured out by the time I have to leave.

Knowing the kids is really rewarding. I have a ton of fun chatting with them or hanging out with them during club activities (band, tennis, soccer, etc.). I often see my kids outside of school in my small town so we'll chat or bike together. It's fun to see these kids growing and maturing and improving with English.

And of course there's all the "abroad" aspects. I have met so many interesting people from countries all over the world. I really didn't expect to have as much contact with other foreigners as I have had. I have friends who are from Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa and all over the US. I've met people from Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil, Cambodia, and China. Struggling to live a 'normal' life here has been rewarding too. There are so many challenges that really can't be anticipated because they're either so unknown, or I've taken certain aspects of my life for granted. Like rules on throwing away garbage, or trying to find edible/cookable food in the grocery store or buying a bicycle, riding the train....I can't list them all. But, I'm still alive and beginning to thrive so that's been rewarding.


How did research help your experience overall?

Hmmm... I did relatively little research before coming. I took a religions of East Asia class and History of East Asia class in college, I lived in the same dorm as a Japanese exchange student for a year and was friends with him, I took a Japanese language class and hung out with some Foreign Exchange students at a coffee hour each week. My family hosted a Japanese student for 5 weeks the summer before I came here. Does that count as research? Also my roommate my last year of college lived in Japan for 4 months so he told me a lot about Japan. I wrote a few e-mails back and forth with my predecessor to learn about my particular school and city. Despite these things though, I still realized that I was going to be unprepared on many levels no matter how much research I did. Like I said before there are so many things that are different that just can't be anticipated. I just came with an open and inquiring mind, an adaptability to change, and a willingness to "just roll with things." Not that it hasn't been hard at times...


What has been the biggest adjustment and/or challenge?

Whooo.. I'm not sure. One girl mentioned to me at our initial orientation that, not only was she living abroad for the first time, but she was now living alone for the first time. That struck me. It's been an adjustment living in my own apartment (having always lived with family or roommates before) especially now that I have a much smaller support network. It does get lonely here missing friends and family.

Another huge struggle - probably the bigger one - is the language barrier. If anyone tells you that you can move to Japan and you don't have to learn Japanese- that everyone speaks English here - they are dead wrong. It is possible to survive without speaking Japanese, but you cannot thrive. Not being able to communicate basically relegates me to sitting in my apartment or moving on rotation through a few rote, familiar steps. It's not a lot of fun. So I've been studying and studying and taking all the opportunities I can to use Japanese. I live here, but since I teach English for my employment, I'm not really immersed. I have to be purposeful in finding people that will patiently communicate with me in Japanese. I've said to many other friends over the past few months that learning Japanese and making Japanese friends is going to be the bellwether for success.


What, if anything have you heard about scams while teaching abroad?

There was a big problem with NOVA a few months ago - I think the CEO or President was stealing a bunch of money. They had to shut down most of the schools and many teachers were out of a job. Most either had to quickly find other employment in order to pay for their food and housing or go home.


What do you enjoy most about teaching abroad?

I like living next to the ocean and these beautiful hills. I also have an incredible view of Mt. Fuji from my school. I like meeting people from different cultures and having conversations about what's going on in the world.


What do you dislike about teaching abroad? If anything...

Not having a car. I could get one with some effort, so maybe I'll do that if I plan on staying longer than 2 years.
Missing friends. And I sometimes feel sorry for myself because I can't eat Tombstone Pizza.


How are the classes conducted? How much control over classrooms do you have?

It really varies, but like I said, I'm kind of left to my own devises. We have a lot of support through the JET Program, and even more through my contracting Prefecture. They have provided teaching tips, lesson ideas and a reassuring voice. The JETs in this program help each other out a lot as well. Technically the program is based on "Team Teaching" where a JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) and an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher - that's me) teach each class together. Ideally we sit down together each week and go over what we want to teach and how we're going to teach it (selecting activities, etc.). Arriving halfway through the school year, I kind of just went at it week by week throwing activities together so the kids could learn English. I designed all the classes and the JTE was mostly just there to help with class management. I teach with another ALT at my school (not common in this program) so we've been given a couple of classes a week where we teach without a JTE. This week is the start of the new school year, and I'm trying to do things differently. Since I'm here from the beginning now, I picked out some texts and scheduled overall goals for the term, so I hope that will help me organize the order of individual lesson plans. I'm also working in the JTE a lot more so that it becomes team teaching.


What are your living arrangements like?

I live in teacher housing about a 15-20min. bike ride from school (depending on the wind, grrrr....). It's subsidized by the government, so I pay a little over $200 a month for an apartment with 2 bedrooms, a living room, large kitchen, bathroom area and entrance way. I also have a small walk-in storage space outside (I keep my Honda SuperCub in there as well as my recycling - I haven't figured out how to get rid of that yet). The apartment was quite dirty and moldy when I moved in, and the air-conditioner didn't work. I scrubbed for about 12 hours. The moldy smell eventually went away after running a dehumidifier 24/7 for 3 weeks and blowing fans. The place is nice all things considered and is a 5 min. walk, 3 min. run from a train station so it's easy to get out of my tiny town and find some excitement. (I do like my city - it's quaint.)

Explain your social life?

Most of my friends are other Westerners, though recently I've been really trying to make Japanese friends. It helps that my Japanese is improving so that I can communicate with people on basic levels. I usually get together with another ALT(s) at least 4-5 times a month. I recently hosted a party at my apartment and about 20 people came, so that was fun. I work with and now live right next to another ALT so a lot of my social time is spent with her. I'm staring to spend a lot more time with this girl named Yuriko, maybe she'll be my girlfriend soon...


In your opinion, is there a certain type of person who chooses to
teach english abroad?

I've discovered that most of the people in the JET Program like to talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk. My voice went hoarse during our Tokyo Orientation (1200 JETs gathered together for 3 days in Shinjuku). Most people here are outgoing, though of course not all. Most people are very intelligent and interested in global issues. Many people are active in helping people through all kinds of ways all over the world. A lot of JETs like to travel. Of course people who want to teach abroad and still enjoy it after getting here have an adaptability to change and a willingness to try new things.


What advice would you give to someone considering teaching english abroad?

Go for it! It's going to change your life.

No comments: