Saturday, September 29, 2007

Manly Man

This is Bradley Hathaway's poem "Manly Man." I adapted it for myself and memorized it to present at NavoEspresso this past spring. I absolutely love this poem- I don't live up to it all the time, but if there is something to strive for and to enjoy and to show your smiling teeth at, this is it:


I don't want my thinning hair, large lips with (NO! I do not wear LIPstick!) eyeglasses, pretty nails, short khaki shorts, face gets a little too red when I talk confuse anyone. I am a manly man. Within this soft frame, obviously sun-deprived chest lies a heart that beats to the drum of a Native American ritual dancing wildness. It pumps and ever cascading supply of untamadness that a herd of wild mustangs have yet to grasp. If danger lurks about, I will seek it out, if adventure abounds, there I will be found, if a damsel be in distress, I will show her who is best, I, am a manly man.

Because I don't flush, and I leave the lid up. I drive a 1988 Ford Pickup-Truck. (Well, not really cuz I can't afford one, but when I can I will) Girls don't break up with me, I break up with them first. (Except the last couple of times, it didn't...didn't really work out like that). I don't shave the hair on my face because beards are tough. I fart, burp and spit when I want not caring who's nearby. You disrespect my momma and I will punch you in the eye, I am a manly man.

Or am I? I, I tell my guy friends that I love 'em. And sometimes? Sometimes I even hug 'em. No, I'm not gay, I just love 'em. And when I watched Pippy Longstocking, I cried. And when my mema gets mad I still run and hide. Like David I want to be a man after God's own heart, I'm not there yet but I'm past the start and when people talk I try to listen, a spirit of compassion, that's my vision, surely I am a manly man!? I want to be loved, and have love and give love, and not just that romantic kind either. Although I am still looking for that beauty. Not helpless but wants to be rescued. The damsel in distress, man, woman, myth, TRUE! I will fight for her, climb the highest tower for her and love her and share with her. Cherish her, be her warrior, her protector. She will be my crown and I will be hers. My mascuLINity will be passed down and affirmed to my sons and each of my daughters will know they are lovely and derserving of authentic romance.

Society tells me all day long that I've defined manhood completely wrong, but you ask any honest man and he will agree you ask any honest woman and she too will see that I, am a maly man.

No comments: