Monday, September 10, 2007

Typhoon

Biking in a typhoon. Not recommended. Not recommended whilst wearing work clothes. In my defense, I had taken my shirt and tie off before I left my house and wrapped them up in my backpack instead. But I left the pants on. Oh, I had full rain gear on. Good rain gear too, left by my predecessor. This rain gear is really rain proof. It's just not submergable proof.

I made it about four-fifths of the way before feeling an odd sensation in my crotchile area. Almost like I was slowly peeing my pants except it wasn't warm. And then the inevitable "oh, no..." There really wasn't anything I could do other than continue on to the high school and do a damage assessment upon arrival.

Luckily I had hopped back inside my house after taking a step outside to fetch an extra pair of socks. I figured I may need them. I wish my foresight had continued up my legs. I gingerly stepped into the school and began to undress in the entrance way. Peeling my rain pants from my body, I revealed the largest fake pee stain I have ever seen on a pair of pants still attached to one's habit. What happend was that while biking my lap was open and susceptible to collecting a small pool of water. This obviously happened almost immediately and remained that way for the entire bike ride. Lying at the bottom of this pool was the zipper to my rainpants. Most zippers are not watertight, and this one was no exception.

One of the office ladies walked by at about this point and saw my predicament. She asked if I had a towel, I said no, and she literally ran into the office to search for an extra one. This was quite kind, but I think my pants were a little past the dabbing dry point. I used the towel on my feet before I put on my extra socks. Getting to the teachers locker room I undressed and hung my pants over one of the barriers. I just stood there awhile in my soaked boxers wishing there was more time between me and standing in front of my first class for the day. I put my wet clothes back on and headed for the teachers room.

Luckily I was there early enough so most of the other teachers weren't there yet. Sitting at my desk I could hide "the spot." The heavy rain and loud thunder continued while several teachers crawled in late from a long commute. I noticed that there weren't many students around either.

A few minutes later Kyoto-sensei stood up to give the morning announcements. I couldn't understand what he was saying, but afterwards one of the JTEs explained that morning classes had been canceled! I put down the lesson plan I was working on (titled "the difference between 'pee' and 'rain'") and relaxed. I had 4 more hours to sit at my desk, play on the internet and let 'er dry.

Thus proves the saying, "every (typhoon) cloud has a silver lining!"

2 comments:

Zahara said...

"the difference between 'pee' and 'rain'"
lol

Heidi said...

Luther,
This was hilarious! It reminded me of a Garrison Keillor story! It sounds like you are enjoying teaching. It is fun to think of both you and Marie in the classroom, though very different situations.
We had fun camping with your folks last weekend.
Heidi